Covid-19 is a viral illness which can be non-symptomatic, mild, or deadly. Below are some tips to keep us in the best possible health:-
- Stay hydrated - a minimum of 6 glasses of water per day
- Lots of Vegetables - especially the brightly coloured ones - have lots of anti-oxidants to destroy harmful free radicals which make persons ill.
- Some Fruit - aim for a rainbow of colours - portion control is important especially for persons with diabetes and those with impaired glucose tolerance. Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables with a high water content eg cucumber, lettuce, tomato, oranges, watermelon...
- Aim for Balance - the diet should include all of the food groups - providing vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, carbohydrate foods high in fibre, and lean protein
- Mild to moderate physical activity/exercise - aim for a minimum of 30 minutes per day
- Manage Stress
- Supplements if needed - a multivitamin, vitamin C, & and Zinc. While there is no evidence yet (covid-19 is new), Studies have shown that Vitamin C and Zinc have been shown to shorten the duration of a cold, also caused by another corona virus. New studies have demonstrated that VITAMIN D is of particular importance.